Thursday, June 21, 2012

Graduation cards

I needed to make a couple of graduation cards, so I went to Pinterest for inspiration.  This first one was so cute, but the link was broken and therefore, no instructions.  Never fear - - - I worked it all out!

This is an A10 (4 x 9.25) card.  The black cardstock for the card base is 10 x 7.25.  To score the card, make sure the 10 inch side is across the top of your board and score at 1, 3, 7, & 9.  Fold the 3" and 7" scores toward each other and then the 1" and the 9" marks back to make the front pleats of the gown.  Glue them in place.  Cut 2 pieces of black at 2 7/8" square to form the cap.  I placed a brad in the middle before I glued them together.  I glued the cap to the left side of the card so that the total height equals 9.25".  I did have to add a 1" strip of black to the left side of the card flap as there was a small gap after the card was folded colosed.  I actually used a scrap of the black cut 1" x 7.25.  I like the added piece as it makes it look like the inset for the zipper of the gown.  The white cardstock center is 3 7/8" x 7 1/8".  You could do slots for money or a check.  Because it is an A10, it fits a business sized envelope.

I also another cute card on Pinterest that I wanted to try.  This one is courtesy of Dawn Olchefske at  She has the size for an A2 (4.25 x 5.5) card, but I wanted it a bit larger, so I did an A6 (4.5 x 6.25).
 My black cardstock was cut 4.5" x 10.75".  Score the long side at 6.5" and then mark 2.25" ABOVE and BELOW your score.  Also mark at 2.25 across the short side.  Score an "X" from the marks on either side.  Cut the angle of the hat from the center mark at the top of the card to the top of the "X" on each side.  Fold along all score lines and fold the middle section inward to create the hat.  I set a brad in the middle of the "hat" and attached a faux tassel.  The white cardstock is cut 4" x 5 7/8" for the lower portion of the card.  I marked at 2" at the center of the top and 2" down on each side.  Cut the angle from the marks to form the inside layer.  The square layer of white for the underside of the "hat" is cut 3 1/8" square. 

Congradulations to all of the Class of 2012!

Friday, June 15, 2012

Stampin' Up's My Digital Studio

I have had this digital program for quite some time and have built up a "library" of 85 brush sets.  So, I decided it was time to start doing something with all of this.
 This was a from a Designer Kit - Happy Birthday, Labels.  I inserted the label onto a "sheet" of white cardstock and then printed it with several other images.  I cut it out and added the white ribbon and popped it up on top of a beautiful sheet of blue paper that was embossed with a Happy Birthday folder.

For my Son-In-Law's Father's Day, I wanted to make a card using All In The Family.  To do this with rubber stamps would be a major task.  The heads are NOT connected to the bodies which are NOT connected to the legs or arms.  However, in My Digital Studio, it is very easy to move all of the parts to where they need to be.  I even added the glasses for both my daughter and son-in-law!  I then colored them with Copic markers.  The background "happy" paper is from a Cricut pad that I got on clearance and the red base cardstock is from my stash.  "Happy Father's Day!" is a rub-on from My Sentiments Exactly. 

For my second Son-In-Law's first Father's Day (baby is due Nov 8), I used the typewriter image from "Your My Type" and enlarged it to 4.25 x 5.5.  I placed the image at the bottom of the 8.5 x 11 "sheet".  I added "dear dad" from Holiday Blitz, "2" from Schoolbook Serif Numbers, and the bumblebee from Sweet Summer.  After it was printed, I trimmed the cardstock to 4.25 x 11 and folded it in half - forming an A2 card.  I trimmed the card to the shape of the typewriter bottom and accented with Black Enamel. 

The inside "Happy Father's Day" is from All Holidays and the tie from Holiday Blitz.  It is so easy to change the color of the image using all (even discontinued ones) Stampin' Up inks!

Lastly I did a generic card using my newest purchase, The Open Sea.  I printed the manifest in Not Quite Navy on white cardstock.  I used several ink pads to distress to an aged look.  The ship from The Open Sea was printed in black and colored using Prismacolors and cut with Spellbinder's Curved Rectangles along with a mat in dark blue cardstock.  The mat was cut the same size as the ship and enlarged by cutting it into 4 pieces and gluing them onto the back of the ship's piece.  I cut little scraps to fill in the gaps.  The anchor was also printed in black and colored with Prismacolors, cut out (oh what fun) and tied on with scrappers' floss. 

I am a total fan of My Digital Studio!  The brush stamp sets are VERY well priced and very versatile!